Staying safe while enjoying and helping the outdoors … what could be better? The DIY cleanups that we debuted last month went very well. A huge “Thank You” to all who participated! We plan to do the same process for the next few months: we’ll suggest a cleanup location or two, and provide whatever supplies you need to make it happen and report back. In July, we are going to focus on Blue Rock Springs Park, where we usually host our annual July BBQ, and the shoreline around Lake Chabot that is accessed through Dan Foley Community Park. And, if you participate this month, we’ll have a special surprise for you! Here’s how it will work:
1. Pick a day and time that you and your household or social-bubble-safe friends will pick up trash.
2. Email Info@VallejoWatershedAlliance with your preferred location, day, and time. If your cleanup time is on a weekend, we’ll let GVRD know you’re coming so that your parking fee at Blue Rock or Dan Foley is waived. There are no parking fees during the week.
3. Need supplies? We can provide disposable gloves, trash bags, hand sanitizer, waiver and loaner pickers, and we’ll be happy to drop them on your porch.
4. Leave the filled trash bags next to the garbage cans at the park. Once your cleanup is complete, let us know how much trash was removed (# of bags filled + any other items that are too big for the bags, and how many people were there). We love photos – send us a couple of you in action! We will notify GVRD and they will dispose of the filled bags.
6. If you’re borrowing pickers, let us know when we can retrieve them from your porch.
The usual rules of COVID apply: Don’t do this if you feel ill or have a fever, face coverings are strongly recommended, keep at least 6 feet of social distance with people who aren’t in your household, and sneeze or cough into a tissue or your elbow.
Have fun, and keep in touch!