Vallejoans are doing a great job staying safe while enjoying the outdoors and helping keep our waterways clean. The DIY cleanups that we debuted in April will continue over the next few months: we’ll suggest a cleanup location or two, and provide whatever supplies you need to make it happen and report back. In October, we are going to focus on Dan Foley Park (the Lake Chabot shoreline) and Lake Dalwigk; in November we’ll pick up litter at Hanns Park and Delta Meadows Park. Here’s how it works:
1. Pick a day and time that you and your household or social-bubble-safe friends will pick up trash.
2. Email Info@VallejoWatershedAlliance with your preferred location, day, and time.
3. Need supplies? We can provide disposable gloves, trash bags, hand sanitizer, waiver and pickers, and we’ll be happy to drop them on your porch.
4. Leave the filled trash bags next to the garbage cans at the park. Once your cleanup is complete, let us know how much trash was removed (# of bags filled + any other items that are too big for the bags, and how many people were there). We love photos – send us a couple of you in action! We will notify GVRD and they will dispose of the filled bags.
6. If you’re borrowing pickers, let us know when we can retrieve them from your porch.
The usual rules of COVID apply: Don’t do this if you feel ill or have a fever, face coverings are strongly recommended, keep at least 6 feet of social distance with people who aren’t in your household, and sneeze or cough into a tissue or your elbow.
Have fun, and keep in touch!